- Apna Skool is a school for economically disadvantaged children in the suburbs of Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh . $80 Donation will support ONE child for ONE year. Contact email@example.com for child profile after WAH Donation.
- Supports 675 children, and 23 teachers
- Directly reaches 698 individuals annually
- Project Type Formal Schools in rural Uttar Pradesh. Supported by Asha since December 2002
- More details on this project - budget documents and a recent visit summary - can be found on the Asha Website
This project attempts to reach the underprivileged children of migrant workers with basic primary education in an environment which combines awareness of health, hygiene and social issues. Another intended objective is to protect them from child labor. Children are also helped with a mid day meal. In the span of 20 years, the project directly enabled 20000 children cross illiteracy to joyful learning. Many have continued and attained proficiency at High School, Higher Secondary and College levels. Significant numbers of them have become Teachers, Skilled workers and even Entrepreneurs, generating jobs for others. Project is founded and run by community of IIT, Kanpur. Expected Outcome: 1. To help about 600 t0 700 children (20 to 30 children in about 20 to 25 rudimentary centres (that are called Apna Skool) to achieve literacy and numeracy and prepare them for normal schooling. 2. To assist some older migrant children in the higher classes in city schools through scholarships and other tuition needs. 3. To ensure parents appreciate the need to get their children remain in School at least until they reach 15 years, so that they become good citizens. We believe our efforts will motivate both the children and the parents the importance of schooling, so that wherever they are they will move towards main stream school system. In view of the recently passed Right to Education bill, they will indeed be enrolled in the Schools, but in order to bridge the gap and derive full benefits we will be providing the necessary facilitations and assistance.